Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

On my way...

The reality is that I am not the best when it comes to technology.  Blogging is a new thing for me.  I am going to try this to see how it goes.  I wanted to give my family and friends a chance to know what I was up to during my trip to God’s Littlest Angels.  It is Sunday night, and I leave Tuesday morning to drive to Chicago for my Wednesday morning flight.
Just a quick recap of the best things that have happened in the months that I have been planning this trip:
The best gift
Today at church my pastor gave me a prayer blanket – I can’t say I have ever seen a prayer blanket before, but the idea was so neat.  The kids all said a prayer for me, and then gave me the blanket with my family and church friends there.  It was amazing to feel the love and prayers of the people I care about.
The best bargain
I needed a rolling suitcase for the trip, so Rob and I took the kids to the Goodwill last weekend to shop.  The idea is that I can take two suitcases down there, and then leave one behind.  Some friends who have been to Haiti recently said that people in tent cities are using the donated suitcases to keep their belongings in.  After 20 minutes of searching the store, we found a great suitcase – Atlantic, in decent shape, with wheels and lots of storage pockets.  It was listed as $17.99.  While still a deal, I couldn’t help but feel the pinch of yet ANOTHER $20 leaving my wallet in preparation for this journey.  At the checkout, the cashier started to ring up the suitcase and typed in 25.  As I was starting to correct her, that no, indeed the sticker clearly read $17.99, she said, “I guess it’s your lucky day.  Everything with a yellow sticker is 25 cents.”  Well, needless to say we went and grabbed the other rolling suitcase and cleared out of there with two “new” pieces of luggage for a whopping 50 cents.  Yippee!  (Oh, and $5.00 worth of beanie babies that Carmen and Miles couldn’t live without.)
The sweetest prayer
Every night before bed, my kids say their prayers.  In his sweetest 3-year-old voice, Miles always says, “Dear God – help the kids who don’t have shoes.  Help the kids who don’t have Mommies and Daddies.”  It melts my heart every time.  Then I chuckle because he follows up this sweet, heartfelt prayer with a story for God about his imaginary friends, Car-ray and Far-ray.
As the day draws near for me to leave for Haiti, I am nervous and excited.  I have read and researched, talked to tons of people, and made every plan and preparation possible.  Even so, I have no REAL idea of what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment