Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

I got to attend both Haitian church (entirely in Creole) and English church this morning.  What a blessing!  The music, the message, and the people were amazing and inspiring.
Today in Haitian church, the pastor asked all of the fathers to stand and be recognized.  Pastor Brandon gave each of the men a small flash light.  Of course, it was all in Creole, so I only picked up 1 in about every 30 words, but I like to think that I got the message.   I think that the point was that it a father’s job to keep his eyes on the prize – our Father in Heaven, the light of the world – and that it is also a father’s job to lead his family in the light.  I feel very fortunate to have a husband who fits the bill, and is an amazing man who loves God.  I wish I could give him a hug today and tell him how much he means to me! 
Later, at English church, Pastor Brandon gave the same message, but this time in English.  He said that when we accept Christ Jesus in our hearts, we are also accepting his call to ministry.  Our ministry might be to give testimony to the members of our immediate family; it might be to work with children and youth in our home church; it might be to transplant ourselves and our families and serve as missionaries in far reaching places; or it might be to care for the orphans of the world.  Whatever our ministry is, we are supported in all that we do.  Jesus is there in our walk, to love us, encourage us, support us and care for us.  It is our job to keep our eyes on him, and keep serving him, even when the going gets tough.
Today several of the volunteers will be taking a hike up the mountain to a waterfall.  It is about an hour up and an hour back – uphill both ways because, of course, it is Haiti and EVERYTHING is uphill both ways it seems!
I am looking forward to an afternoon of exercise and relaxation before going back to work at preschool and with the babies on Monday.  I only have two more days before the journey home on Wednesday.  It has gone so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment